NLP stopped working after moving files / Updating Photoshop

I’ve got a REALLY strange issue… So I’ve had NLP working fine in Lightroom CC 10.2 - scanned loads of negatives, converted them - happy with the results… Metadata is always written to XMP files - as set in my Catalog settings.

Yesterday, I launched Lightroom and had a strange error - that Lightroom couldn’t access the preference folders due to a permissions issue… Nothing had changed on my system and the only thing I had done since closing Lightroom a few minutes earlier was update Photoshop via the CC app, and I’d moved a folder of images from the desktop to an external drive, via Lightroom rather than Finder.

I ran the fix permissions script from the Adobe website, and relaunched Lightroom…

But now, EVERY SINGLE image I’ve scanned and already converted says “Profile Missing” in the develop tab, and shows the unconverted image…

I’ve reinstalled NLP 2.2 but still can’t view my images how they were meant to be…

Has anyone else suddenly had NLP stop working after updating any Adobe apps?

J

Just checked on my Mac and got no issue.
(iMac 2019, macOS Mojave, LrC 10.2)

I’m not sure what has happened, but I tried discarding ‘smart preview’ on an image, and then it found the profile…

I then deleted the smart previews on all the images in the folder, and they all found the NLP profiles again…

Is this an issue with NLP or Lightroom do you think? I had enabled edit smart previews so that my workflow is faster…

I don’t use smart previews. And I’m not sure if NLP works with them at all… Switch’em on again and see if things change. If the original files are inaccessible, smart previews will be used, any differences should show then…

Yep - rebuilt smart previews and the editing worked… it’s as if something damaged the smart previews…

Once rebuilt, the profiles worked…

What I don’t understand though is why the profile isn’t found when working with the (damaged?) smart preview…. Surely the profile should be determined by the original file rather than the preview, even when working from smart previews… but I appreciate, that sounds like an Adobe issue, not NLP…

a profile is selected based on metadata stored in the smart previews or, more probably, the Lr catalog. That a Ps update should disrupt either of these goes beyond sane programming practices imo… Anyway, it’s good to know how to fix the issue, if it should pop up. :+1: