Not sure how to adjust saturation

I just bought a Negative Lab Pro license and I’m having trouble adjusting saturation in Lightroom Classic.

I’m using:

• Negative Lab Pro 2.2.0
  • OpticFilm Plustek 8200i negative scanner
  • Silverfast 8 outputting 48 bit HDR RAW DNG files
  • Lightroom Classic 10.4

I’m slowly getting used to using all the Lightroom image controls in reverse but I haven’t found a good way to control the saturation. Most of my images are getting pretty washed out as I fuss with the exposure & levels. The challenge is that the Vibrance and Saturation controls add a magenta to green cast when I try to correct for this.

Is there a good way to bump the saturation without coloring the image?
(Sorry if I missed something in the help docs but I didn’t see anything.)

Thanks,
Randy

1 Like

The best way to change the image saturation (and other parameters) without changing the color is to first export the file and then working with the lightroom settings.
This can be done directly in the NLP plugin on the bottom by clicking “make copy” and it will create a JPEG or TIFF copy.

Thanks, @fcacais. I have been using this workflow some but making/forking duplicate files seems like something the whole Lightroom approach is intended to avoid.

For instance, I try a to get a look that I like in the NLP plugin and when I’m happy with the result i add extra contrast with a light S curve and then usually +20/25 Vibrance and +2/5 saturation and copy past the settings for the entire roll. Imo its the best workflow, gives consistent results (after all the NLP tweaks) and doesn’t change any colors :v:t2:

Have you tried different pre-saturation levels (first NLP tab, set before converting) and the different Tones and Color Models that you can access on the second tab, after converting? I find these to help to create a fairly wide variety of images, including saturation.

Sometimes, I also tweak colours (in RAW) with the HSL tool using the pickup, which takes into account the original (negative) colour. Be prepared for some trial-and error…