Tips for Developing ECN-2

TL;DR: If anyone here shoots a Kodak Vision 3 film a lot, what’s your bullet proof method of making sure all the remjet is cleaned off and then what’s your process to use a wetting agent right after before you hang to dry?

Hey,

I’ve developed some 500t in ECN-2 for the first time (three rolls) using chemicals from Quiet We’re Dreaming. The first roll I did by itself to get the hang of it, as ECN-2 development moves a little fast and is seemingly a bit more needy when it comes to keeping the developer temp consistent. Overall things went pretty well. I used a sponge squeegee dipped in Photo Flo on the non-emulsive side only to wipe the excess remjet off. This works but I did get some streaks down roll 1 and just a few noticeable areas on roll 2. After I wiped the remjet I rolled it back onto the Patterson reel and then did a normal Photo Flo wash.

I probably messed up when I got a lot of extra bubbles from the Photo Flo and used my fingers to go down the film before hanging (I usually never do this, but after re-dunking the film into the Photo Flo it got a lot of bubbles that I thought may mess up drying) but that’s never really left streaks like this before. It could be residue from the Photo Flo or it could be remjet that didn’t entirely come off, I’m not sure. Also to note: I only use distilled water with Photo Flo.

So my question is; if anyone here shoots a Kodak Vision 3 film a lot, what’s your bullet proof method of making sure all the remjet is cleaned off and then what’s your process to use a wetting agent right after before you hang to dry? I’ve read people use microfiber cloths but it’s difficult or impossible to clean it after. I’ve read about someone using coffee filters to wipe down their film because it’s lint-free supposedly and disposable. I figured I’d use my sponge squeegee on the one side and it did seem to get the remjet off.

My other two rolls came out pretty darn good but still some light streaking on a few frames. But for the most part I’m happy. Happy enough that I’m probably going to use 500t for color more than anything else.

Thanks!

Examples from roll 1 and 2 (3rd roll was pretty much perfect all the way down):

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 2.15.18 PM

1 Like