"Update Vuescan/Silverfast DNGs" issue

Hi,

when I click onthe “Update Vuescan/Silverfast DNGs” command, and press OK then, then the below error message appears:

immagine

And at the end of the process I can’t find the NLP profile anywhere.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hi, are you using NLP v2.1.2? Can you tell me what operating system and lightroom version you are on?

Hi, I’m using the latest version of NLP (v2.1.2) and Lightroom Classic CC.

Can you go in Lightroom to “Help > System Info” and copy and paste that info so I can get complete picture (operating system, exact LR version number, etc).

Also, can you tell me what specific scanner model you have and what software you used for scanning (Vuescan or Silverfast).

That will provide more clues.

My initial hunch is that it is a folder permission issue with Windows (which is quite common with Windows, unfortunately). If there is a folder permission issue, it won’t be able to write the changes to the file as it should, and it is tricky to solve.

-Nate

Hi Nate,

please see below my system info (sorry but it’s the italian version…hopefully you could understand the essential info):

immagine

I’m using the Epson v600 scanner and Vuescan (latest version).

Thank you.

Thanks @Rockall_8!

First, I would try updating your version of Lightroom to the latest version (LR Classic 9.1). Looks like you are still on 8.1. Some of the earlier 8.x version of Lightroom Classic had issues with folder permission and writing to file.

Upgrading alone may fix it.

If that doesn’t fix it, I would try putting part of that command in the command prompt and see if
you get any errors. Open up the command prompt, and copy/paste this and hit enter:

C: & cd "Users\rocci\Documents\NegativeLabPro.lrplugin" & win\exiftool.exe

You shouldn’t get any errors, it should just show instructions for using exiftool. If you do get errors, take a screenshot and share.

If the above works ok, then copy/paste this command and enter into command line:

C: & cd "Users\rocci\Documents\NegativeLabPro.lrplugin" & win\exiftool.exe -m -overwrite_original -E -UniqueCameraModel="Vuescan RAW" -xmp:CameraProfile="Negative Lab v2.1" "C:\Users\rocci\Pictures\2020\2020-01-11\raw0036.dng"

Again, you should get no error… just some kind of confirmation that the file was changed after a minute or so. If you get an error, screenshot and share.

-Nate

Hi Nate,

sorry for the late reply, but I was only able to update LC to 9.2 now.

Unfortunetaly, your above suggestions do not seem to work. I am wondering now what wold be the gain of having that Vuescan option working…what is exactly affect of my scan file?

Thank you.

P.S.: I still don’t know why my Lightroom profile doesn’t show NLP!

Unfortunately, I also get the below when I save the converted files as TIFF positive copy within Lightroom

immagine

Hi - You technically don’t need to run that utility on the RAW DNG because the v600 profile is supported natively in NLP. What happens on your Vuescan RAW DNG if you don’t use the “Update Vuescan/Silverfast DNG” utility? So, if you just open Negative Lab Pro on the original DNG? When you open Negative Lab Pro, you should see the “profile” in Lightroom change to “Negative Lab v2.1” if everything is installed properly (and the negative itself will look darker than it did before).

If that doesn’t work, it is likely that you have either 1) Not installed the camera profiles in the proper directly or 2) did not follow the instructions correctly for making the DNG (for instance, if it is not 48-bit RGB, it won’t work).

-Nate

Thank you very much, Nate!

I’ll let you know as soon as I get new scans. This time, I’ll make sure everything is at 48-bit RGB.

Regards!

Hi Nate,

I made sure that VueScan was set at 48-bit RGB and did a new scan. This below is what I got clicking on “Update Vuescan/Silverfast DNGs”:

immagine

The profile which appears before the NLP conversion is saying “Incorporate” (this is my translation from the italian. I don’t know if the english version uses a different way). The profile switches to “Negative Lap Pro v.2.1” after the conversion only.

Please note my camera profiles are saved here:

Kind regards,
Alfredo

Hi Nate!
Did you ever find a solution for that problem? I unfortunately have that too, and after reinstalling NLP at the absolute root of C: I still have that problem.

I put the code you wrote up there (the code from the error message) into the command prompt and it said ‘Path cannot be found’. (and yes, I put my code instead of OP’s code there)
Do you have any ideas how this can be resolved?

Regards

EDIT: should add that I’m on version 9.2.1 of Lightroom and scan with a Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II with Vuescan (currently still on the trial if that matters), so I guess in my case it’s the standard Vuescan.raw profile. Also Windows10.

Hi @ShogunFritz -

Would it be possible to share a screenshot of your error message? Also, it would be helpful to know if you get any error messages when you try to do a regular conversion, or if it seems to convert OK.

-Nate

Thanks for the quick reply.
2 Unbenannt
Here are the error message and my system info.

If i do a conversion without updating DNG’s it converts but the converted image looks very oversaturated I guess. If i dont autowhitebalance before it gets an additional blue hue. It also says ‘Negative Lab v2.1’ as profile but under it ‘Profile missing’

I get pretty much the same error message if I try to prep tiff files, although it still manages to produce a ‘-gamma’ file in a subdirectory. The non prep’d tiff’s look good to me, the prep’d ones look a little bit yellow and darker but not totally out of the ballpark. (At the moment I only have tiff’s from the original Minolta software - if that matters)
I can send you testphotos if that helps. As mentioned - the tiffs are workable with but i’s still rather have my scans as raw’s.

Thanks @ShogunFritz -

The “Update Vuescan/Silverfast DNG” utility works by using another program (exiftool) to change the metadata of the file (so that Lightroom can know which raw profile to use). Exiftool has to write directly to the directory that the original photo is in, in order to update the metadata.

For whatever reason, in your case, it is not able to write to this directory. It could be that you need to update the folder permission on that folder to allow read/write (most likely), or that you are out of the needed hard-drive space to save the temporary file.

Can you send me the example DNG that is giving you trouble? You can email it to me at nate@natephotographic.com - it may be possible for me to add a different profile that allows you to skip the “Update Vuescan/Silverfast DNG” step.

-Nate

1 Like

Thank you very much! Turns out Bitdefender Antivirus prohibited exiftools from working in secure directories/files - which are all files by default. Additionally it doesn’t give you any warning that it does this, not even when you have Bitdefender open. Now everything works fine

I’ll send you example DNG’s as soon as I get to scan them (these few coming days probs) per email, thanks again for the troubleshooting and the fast answers.