Update Vuescan/Silverfast DNGs doesn't work

Getting this error message when I try to ‘Update Vuescan/Silverfast DNGs’, won’t work on any of my scans. Putting out 48-bit raw files from an up to date 9 x64 (9.6.67)Vuescan, and running Negative Lab pro v2.3. I have done plenty of scans before but not for a month, hadn’t had this error before. I had just had a problem where Negative Lab Pro plugin completely disappeared from Lightroom. So I re-installed. Re-starts etc not helping.

Capturehdhdgdfgd

Capturegergergsgdsdf

So sorry about that, @Polaroid !

It looks like ExifTool is not working properly.

Can you give this a try?

1. Close Lightroom
  2. Go to this site: ExifTool by Phil Harvey and download the latest ExifTool windows executable from there.
  3. Extract that download to a temporary folder and rename the file exiftool(-k).exe to exiftool.exe
  4. Now, place this new exiftool.exe into NegativeLabPro.lrplugin\win , overwriting the older exiftool.exe that is currently there. So for instance, in your case, you would place it in C:\NegativeLab\NegativeLabPro.lrplugin\win, and confirm that you want to overwrite the existing exiftool.exe file there. (For anyone else reading this, the exact folder location will depend on where you have placed the NegativeLabPro.lrplugin directory.

Can you give this a try and let me know if it resolves your issue?

-Nate

Hi Nate,
Thanks for that. It does work in that the error message is no longer popping up, and it lets me go on to the ‘read metadata from file’ command. But when I do that there is no visible change to the image file or histogram.
Previously that command would push my histogram into the middle and give me a nice editable file.

I did notice this from a newly scanned file:
Capturebdfbdbdfbd

Whereas on the older version of NLP I was getting this:
Capturebdfbdbdfbd2

Ok, you probably just need to add the v2.3 profiles.

In Lightroom Classic, just go to “File > Import Develop Profiles and Presets” and then navigate to your Negative Lab Pro v2.3 download, and import everything within the “Vuescan Profiles” folder.

If you have already loaded all of those v2.3 profiles, then you might want to try restarting Lightroom and see if that fixes it.

I should also note that in most cases with Vuescan RAW DNGs, you shouldn’t need to run the “Update Vuescan/Silverfast DNG” utility. If there is already a profile included for your scanner model, you can skip that and just open Negative Lab Pro, and it should correctly be able to set the profile. If your scanner model is available, you can email me a link to a RAW DNG from your scanner to nate@natephotographic.com and I will create a specific profile for it so you can skip this step.

-Nate

This seems to have fixed it. Thank you

Don’t you need to color calibrate it somehow ?

Or are the profiles just setting linear space or something?