Version 2.1 - Bugs and Issues

Fujifilm X-T3. The erratic WB behavior I first noticed when using presets on my digital photos.

For example, when using Mastin Labs’ latest film presets (yes shameless I know), if I’ve tweaked WB before applying, the color balance gets really janky after applying the preset. I’ve narrowed it down to the fact that they set “Adobe Standard” when applying their presets, and if I change them to “Adobe Standard v2,” correct colors come back.

I’ve also seen another strange behavior, where if I start with zero edits to the RAW file, then apply their preset first, it changes the WB tint settings as well as setting “Adobe Standard.” And then if I change the profile to “Adobe Standard v2” after that, the tint settings return to what the RAW file said it was shot at. All the while the colors look reasonable at each stage (RAW, preset applied, profile changed).

Hope that helps! My engineer brain is intrigued by all this strange behavior, but alas I don’t understand profiles or LR enough to make sense of it all.

I have installed Version 2.1 and tried to convert vuescan .dng file taken with the Reflecta RPS 7200. The NL .dcp file for this scanner is at the right location. I used the update vuescan/silverfas dng command. I do the requested “read meta data from file” command. This results in the Negative Lab v2.1 profile to be listed in the Basic panel but with an exclamation mark “Profile missing”. There is no “embedded” menu. “Converting negatives” under these circumstances gives a conversion that is completely off colors. Lightroom classic CC 9.0, Camera raw 12.0, MacOS Catalina 10.15.1.

Meta data entry says Make: PIE; Model: P7200.

How can I manually assign the profile to the file?

Thanks

macOS 10.14.6 (18G1012)
Lightroom 8.3
Negative Lab Pro 2.1.0

After imputing metadata, changes are not showing up in the metadata fields like for example film stock, iso, camera model, etc

Hi!

The metadata is only added to standard fields (like EXIF) when exported (or when using positive copy).

Go to “file > export” And then at the top change the “export to” drop down to “negative lab pro”. You’ll then see the options for how to include meta-data during export.

This helps with two things.

First, changes to metadata on the original raw can have unintended consequences. For instance, If you change the lens meta-data on the original draw, Lightroom will not add the correct lens profile. The same goes with camera model. So it is safer to keep the original Romano data for standard fields untouched, and then use the negative lab pro meta-data only on exports and copies.

Second, this gives you more control over what and how the meta-data is added. For instance, you may want to Generate a certain kind of caption for one destination and a different one for another.

Does that make sense?

Nate
Creator of Negative Lab Pro

1 Like

Windows 10
Lightroom v9

Tiff Scan Prep > Make >Error Message

What do you make of this?
Reinstall NLP?

Thanks for sharing the screenshot. I see the error.

(man, I’m glad I improved the error reporting!)

Will be fixed shortly!

-Nate

1 Like

Hmm… Did you add the entire “Vuescan” folder of profiles per the instructions? Or did you add the one? It’s best to add the whole folder. When you use the “Update Vuescan/Silverfast DNG” utility, that file with then use either the “Vuescan RAW dcp” or “Silverfast RAW dcp” files. So if you didn’t include those, you will still get the error.

That clarifies everything! Thank you :smile:

1 Like

First, thank you for this impressive product. Although I don’t routinely run scans or digitize film, I do have a backlog of old scans to work on, so I bought the new version. I also don’t routinely use Lightroom (DXO PhotoLab 3 for developing my NEF images, and IMatch https://www.photools.com/ for my digital asset manager), so I have some extra work in getting up to speed working with NLP in LR.

Because I’m a metadata geek, I’ll have some questions about the new metadata capabilities, which I’ll post in the appropriate discussion.

All the required files are on location (put there with the installer). However, "profile missing also happens in a MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. Bellow three screen shots showing the error and the meta data of the file.

Hi,

1. Make sure are running NLP v2.1.2
  2. Select the raw scans, and go to “file > plugin extras > Update Vuescan / Silverfast DNG” - this will make these files compatible and you should see the profiles change to v.2.1 (assuming everything else is already setup)

For explanation of point 2, this utility updates metadata on the file to make it compatible with the raw profiles.

Another issue I’m noticing. flickr & instagram is not recognizing the auto-captions…

Hi Nate,

I have NLP v2.1.2 installed. With the raw.dng scan selected, I go to “file > plugin extras > Update Vuescan / Silverfast DNG”. Then I get the message “OK! Ready to update Vuescan DNGs? Vuescan DNG(s) detected. Press OK to continue…”. I press OK. Then I get the message “Almost there… to sync this update, click ‘Photo > Read Metadata From File’. It may take a few moments for the changes to sync. You should then be able to select the ‘Negative Lab’ camera profile”. I go to ‘Photo > Read Metadata From File’ then I get the message ‘Read meta data from the selected file?’ and upon pressing ‘Read’ I get the result described above. ‘Profile: Negative Lab v2.1’ ! Profile missing.’

What else can I try?

See if you can select the “Negative Lab v2.1” profile manually. Click the profile explorer icon (the four square icon to the right of the profile name) and see what profiles it shows as available for the file. If the “Negative Lab v2.1” profile is showing as an option, then you have it correctly installed, and the LR bug it just causing it to still think it isn’t there. You should be able to get the error message to dismiss then if you manually select the Negative Lab v2.1 profile.

If you can’t select the profile manually, even after running the “Update Vuescan / Silverfast DNG” utility, then it means something is wrong with your profile installation. If you have added the profiles manually, make sure you have added the entire “Vuescan” folder of profiles, and not just the individual profile that appears to be for your scanner model.

BUG Report

Win 10 Pro (1909), LR (9.1), NLP (2.1.2)

1. Add some text to the User Comment metadata field in LR and hit return
  2. Open NLP plug-in and directly cancel it
  3. The text added in step (1) is gone

Looks like cancelling NLP will revert the last executed LR action before NLP was opened as is also stated with the flashing LR text “Revert …”

/magnus

I have followed the steps mentioned above. But when I upload photos to websites like flickr and isntagram new metadata is not recognized. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Nate,

After updated to 2.1.2, I still have error when trying to “Update Vuescan/Silverfast DNGs”.

This also happens when I try to export a tiff in the plugin surface.

I can see the profile v2.1 in the basic panel.

To make sure its not only caused by Chinese character directory,

I tried to put the DNG files under C:/

And here’s another error message.

Hi @kira,

The utility will not work if there are chinese symbols anywhere in the path to the underlying file, which is the first error message you see (“Wildcards don’t work in the directory specification. No matching files.”)

I’m not sure what is causing the second error message (“error creating file…”). It could be running out of memory or something else on your system may be preventing it from writing the file as it should (basically it has to write a temporary file with the new exif data, and then copy that over the original.)

-Nate
Creator of Negative Lab Pro

Nate, any comments on this? Assume this holds for any field and not only User Comment, hence not being a minor thing. I ran into this by having a poor memory and want to know how I tuned NLP for different photos, hence having to open it up to check settings.