Version 2.1 - Bugs and Issues

I am having an issue when trying to re-edit (ie. change NLP settings) on an already converted NLP image.

Software versions: OSX 10.14.6, LR 9.1, NLP v2.1.2

I am surprised no one has reported this, so maybe it has to do with something specific to my machine. To recreate the issue on my machine.

1. Select an unconverted image, convert it, and adjust settings, as normal.
  2. LR will say “saving NLP settings” in the top left. This seems to take much longer with this version of NLP
  3. Ctrl+N on the just-edited image. NLP still sees the image as “unconverted”. I can not alter the settings in the “Edit” tab like I could in previous versions. My only option is to “convert” the already converted image :frowning:
  4. Select “Cancel” and all NLP settings are unapplied and the image is unconverted, loosing all the settings I tweaked in step 1. I can restore the settings by selecting Edit->Redo.

With the way things are I can only edit images in 1 shot. If I need to tweak anything later, stack with a tif, etc. I cannot do these things unless I re-edit the image from scratch.

Restarting my computer resolved the problem I outlined above. Amazing how often that seems to work!

Yes, this is a bug that affects a specific set of circumstances… If you open Negative Lab Pro on an already converted image and do not make any changes in Negative Lab Pro, and then hit cancel, it will undo the previous action you had taken prior to opening Negative Lab Pro. It’s basically expecting some change that needs to be undone when you cancel, so if there aren’t any, it will go one back in the undo stack. I’ll see if I can find a patch for this in next release.

Cool. Yeah, I’m not aware of any issues in Negative Lab Pro with trying to re-edit previous edited photos. But if something is up with Lightroom or your system, and it isn’t saving the NLP metadata to the Lightroom catalog, that would cause the issue you described. Glad that restarting seemed to sort that out of you!

-Nate

Any news on this fix? I have a v550 and I am also getting the profile missing error and the blue gritty scans from a HDR Silverfast scan. Thanks for all of your hard work!

What version of you on? The fix was pushed as of version 2.1.2, so you need to upgrade from version v2.1.0 if you haven’t already.

Thanks for the quick response Nate, I’m on 2.1.2 but I am still having the missing profile problem. I have tried removing the plugin and downloading it again from scratch and I have located my camera profiles folder and there are a load of profiles there but Lightroom is not pulling it from the metadata. It sis negative lab v2.1 but no profile. Anything else I can be doing to get it working?

1. Mojave 10.14.6
  2. Lightroom Classic 9.2
  3. NLP 2.1.2

Hi Nate! I’ve noticed my recent scans / conversions (making Vuescan DNG’s) are lacking a little luster so I did some digging and tried reconverting old negatives and it seems like I’m getting muddier and yellower looking conversions ever since updated to 2.1.2 from 2.0. I’ve attached an example of what the difference in conversions are. This is Portra 160 film stock. Any ideas? I feel like the results before were incredible but now they are lack-luster.

-N

One other example. I am clicking reset in the settings, then going to the conversion and unconverting it. Then re-converting it and re-applying auto color.

The difference will mainly be the new profiles I added for Vuescan use in v2.1. The new profiles should result in more neutral and color correct results… for instance, in the image above, the skin tones are more accurate in v2.1.2. Also, looking at things that should be neutral (shirt, white lines in pavement, etc) they are definitely also better in v.2.1.2.

If you wanted to give it some more “pop”, you can try increasing the contrast in NLP, or try starting out wih a higher “pre-saturation” level.

Also, if you want to just fully replicate the results you were getting previously, do this: 1) Before conversion, manually change the profile to “Negative Lab v2.0.” 2) When you open Negative Lab Pro to convert the image, change the color model to “none” - this will force it back to the profile you manually selected rather than the newer one, 3) Then convert and edit as before.

-Nate

Hey there!

Just downloaded the trial version, and it’s not working : I can convert my negative, but then the “settings” panel is completely blocked, when I try to push the brightness, the contrast or the lights for example, it doesn’t have any effect, neither on the miniature of my photo… Would like to buy the licence but I wanted to try before the settings, to see theirs effects.
Do you do how to fix that?
Thanks a lot!

My Lightroom version : CC 2015.9 (or “10.12 [6]”), so should work!(?)
My Mac : Mac OS Sierra , version 10.12.6

You need to upgrade to the last release Adobe made of CC 2015 (which is LR 6). There were some issues in the earlier releases of LR 6, so you want the final one.

You should also go to into your LR preferences and turn off graphics acceleration (there is a glitch with graphics acceleration that Adobe just recently fixed with LR Classic 9)

-Nate

Hi Nate,

I used to have NLP 2.0, and upgraded to NLP 2.1.

The control screen shows that NLP 2.1.2 is correctly installed, but the LR profile on my mac still says NLP 2.0. I’ve tried removing the old plug-in, and installing a fresh copy of NLP 2.1, but the profile still says NLP 2.0.

It’s on a previously converted image, and I’ve tried unconverting and reconverting, but it still says NLP 2.0 in the profile.

Is this correct?

That’s the correct behavior, assuming that this is a camera scan. There isn’t necessarily a new camera profile with each release. Only if there is a need. For v2.1, I found ways to improve the Vuescan and Silverfast RAW DNG profiles, so only those were updated in v2.1.

-Nate

Hi Nate,
First let me start to say a huge thank you, this is an amazing piece of kit and very useful for my workflow.

Recently I have started to shoot more and more B&W and edit them with NLP. What I have realized it (maybe this is expected) the plugin crashes white/dark areas if we go extreme. However if I do similar edit on LR tab, under shadows/highlights, LR does not crash the areas. I have included couple of screenshots. I wasn’t wondering if you could help me to identify the issue.

PS especially around the bridge

BW,
Fatih

Any feedback? @nate, could you let me know please?

PS It is very possible I am doing something maybe the plugin is not designed for.

Hi! Yes, it is possible to “break” the settings if you go too extreme with the “lights” and “darks” sliders. Basically, what’s happening is the curve is breaking. You can watch one of the R/G/B curves to see what I mean.

In this case, you would be better off adjusting the “whiteclip” point. It can take a negative value (like -10) and that will move the tones from the brightest point (similar to what you have done in the Lightroom example). The “lights” slider is not changing the brightest pixel, just changing the slope of the highlights curve.

-Nate

I see what you mean. I thought the plugin is utilizing highlights/shadows slider of LR.

Thanks for your response.

BW,
Fatih

I’ve been scanning 48bit DNGs through Silverfast and using your update profile tool to ensure a proper conversion. HOWEVER, even after taking these steps and converting the image, any time I enter the Develop module, the profile suddenly goes missing and the image looks terrible. But then if I zoom in on the image it reloads the profile and looks fine… until I move off it and then the issue starts all over again. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thank you!

macOS Catalina 10.15.4
Lightroom Classic 9.2.1
NLP 2.1.2

Hi @dixonshmixon - hmmm… you’re the second person to mention that issue when using LR Classic 9.2.1.

I’m curious, could you try "downgrading’ to a previous version of Lightroom Classic (like 9.2) and see if the issue is still present?

To downgrade, just go to your creative cloud app, hit the “…” to the right of Lightroom Classic, and select “Other Versions”

Also, could you send the original RAW DNG to my email at nate@natephotographic.com? I just want to take a look at the RAW file to see if I can replicate the issue.

Thanks!
-Nate

Sending a RAW DNG sample now. I’ll try downgrading to see if that has any impact. One thing I noticed is that the issue only effects my 35mm scans. Medium format scans are fine. I’m using a Nikon Coolscan 9000 with Silverfast 8.8.