Cannot avoid "positive" in "Make Copy" name

I’ve been using NLP for a while now and consider it terrific. But I have a couple of issues, mainly because I do batch conversions. After converting I check “Make Copy” and NLP puts “positive” in the name of that copy. I’ve checked and unchecked the box that supposedly controls this feature to no avail. “Positive” comes up ALL the time in the name. It’s a n unnecessary chore to rename the files without it. Especially since an option is provided to not have this happen.
Similarly, it adds “film” and “Negative Lab Pro” in the keywords, which I don’t need nor want. Please address these issues as soon as possible. I thank you for your attention and in advance for a positive outcome of this,

Sincerely,

Marcelo Montealegre

1 Like

I don’t think there is an option to remove the “positive” addition in the filename. At least not in my copy of NLP. If you’re referencing the option “Leave On ‘Positive Copy’ By Default”, this is solely to pre-check the “Make Positive” checkbox in the Edit tab.

As for the keywords: There is no option to unselect these. They are included as soon as you make a positive copy of the RAW file. Even though not ideal, you could check all images in one folder/collection and remove these keywords at once, no need to edit each file individually.

Hi @Marcelo ,

After converting I check “Make Copy” and NLP puts “positive” in the name of that copy. I’ve checked and unchecked the box that supposedly controls this feature to no avail. “Positive” comes up ALL the time in the name.

Yep, when you use this method, it will always add “-positive” into the name. You may be confusing this will the option to place it in a subfolder (and it gives you the option to name the subfolder).

Similarly, it adds “film” and “Negative Lab Pro” in the keywords, which I don’t need nor want.

The options in the app are limited by space, BUT there is a second method for creating positive copies that will give you complete control over all of this (the name, the keywords, the metadata, etc).

1. You will want to go to “File > Export”.
  2. Select one of the existing NLP export presets, like “NLP - Positive Copy - JPEG”
  3. From there, you can edit all of the options with access to everything Lightroom offers in File Naming, Export Locations. You can also turn off all the NLP metadata if you don’t want it.
  4. Once your settings are to you liking, click “Add” and name your new export preset.
  5. Click “Done” to exit
  6. Now, you can use settings to make a positive copy anytime. Just select the photo(s), right-click, and select “Export > Your Export Preset Name”

Hope that helps!
-Nate

1 Like

I’d also love to be able to use the Make a copy tick and avoid keywords (and captions) as I already have systems in place for how I use these (and they don’t apply to my originals anyways). What do you think about a configuration file being used for this? You get to avoid the complexity of adding a UI for it, but the errant power users like us still have a path forward.

The easiest way to do this (that handles basically any workflow you’d like) is to create a custom export preset.

You can create a custom export preset like this:

1. Go to “File > Export”
  2. Edit the settings exactly as you’d like
  3. Click “Add” and follow the prompts to create your custom export preset.

Now, your custom export settings will be available at anytime when you “Right Click” an image (or group of images) and then “Export > Your Custom Export Name.”

This workflow will handle any configuration you’d like and is simpler then trying to include available possible option inside the NLP dialog.

-Nate