How to Upgrade Negative Lab Pro?

The process for upgrading Negative Lab Pro to a newer version will depend a bit on your setup and your needs.

Mac Users - Standard Upgrade

As long as you used the included installer before (and din’t use any custom locations), it should be very simple to upgrade.

1. Download and unzip the latest version (you should receive download link via email)
  2. IMPORTANT!!! Exit Lightroom (it will hang on to the old version if you leave Lightroom open!)
  3. RIGHT-CLICK the installer app (NegativeLabPro-OSX) and select “Open”. If you receive an “Unkown Developer” warning, select “Open Anyway”
  4. Restart Lightroom

NOTE FOR CATALINA USERS - On Macs running Catalina, right-clicking the installer may not show an ‘Open’ option. If you this is the case, you need to hold down Option (Alt) AND right-click to also get the “Open” button.

The installer automatically overwrites the previous plugin, and updates the camera profile folders to their standard locations. There should be no need to change anything in your Lightroom Plugin Manager.

NOTE: If you manually installed any component before to deal with custom settings in you system, you will need to manually overwrite them or add new components manually.

Windows Users - Manual Upgrade

Windows users will need to manually update their version and add/update new components. The process is as follows.

1. Download an unzip the newest version (you should receive link via email)
  2. IMPORTANT!!! Exit Lightroom (it will hang on to the old version if you leave Lightroom open!)
  3. Delete the old Negative Lab Pro plugin wherever you had it installed, and move the new plugin into the same directory as the old version.
  4. From the unzipped download, move the “Negative Lab Camera Profiles” and “Vuescan Profiles” directories to Adobe’s default CameraProfiles folder. This folder is typically found at C:\Users[your username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\ - but it may vary if you have customized your settings.
  5. Restart Lightroom

Questions? Let’s hear it!

Hi Nate,

Thank you for your wonderful wok to create an amazing piece of software. I don’t understand the standard upgrade methode for mac users. Currently I’ve installed plugin v1.3.1. in LIghtroom 6.0. How can I upgrade to v2? Step 2 explains to run the new Mac Installer (NegativeLabPro-OSX). Is this a new installer which I need to download or is this the existing NegativeLabPro-OSX.app which automatically fetches the new version from a place on your site?
When I double click on the existing NegativeLabPro-OSX.app nothing happens apart from installing v.1.3.1.

Best regards,

Robert

Thanks @Robert - You need to first download the newest version (sorry if that wasn’t clear!). I’ve updated the instructions above to include that. When new versions come out, you should receive an email from me with the download links. For v2.0, I sent out emails yesterday.

Hi Nate,

Thank you for your explanation. Can you check in your mailing list if my email-address is correct? I did neither receive a download link for v2.0 in my inbox folder nor in my spam folder,

Best regards,

Robert

Hi!

If you didn’t receive it, you can go to https://www.negativelabpro.com/download and just resubmit - this will send you the latest link.

-Nate

Hey Nate, I have re-installed with the latest build for V 2.0, I see Soft Highs and Soft Lows are now on by default, but I don’t see the White/black Clip boxes. Something I am doing wrong? Cheers!

Coming in v2.1, along with better range on contrast reduction and the ability to click the setting name to zero out just that setting.

Cheers Nate! That’s what I thought.

Mac installer window says “beginning installation” but nothing happens. Opened Lightroom cc looking for the plugin after maybe 20 minutes. alas, nothing
??

Hi!

Are you saying that there is no output at all after it says “beginning installation”?

Also, when you say “Lightroom CC”, have you installed Lightroom CLASSIC CC? - you need Lightroom Classic CC (or Lightroom 6) already installed for the NLP installer to work.

-Nate

Hi Nate,

I’m a little new to all this. I just installed the update and went to convert and it displays the message “Before converting, ensure that the Negative Lab raw profile is available for your scanner model. If not, hit ‘cancel’ below and run ‘File > Plugin-Extras > Update Vuescan/Silverfast DNGs’ on photos and follow instructions. Then, set white balance to film border (or ‘Auto WB’ if no film border visible or if negative is very dense). Then, run Negative Lab Pro to convert and edit.”

How do I check this? I’m using an Epson V800.

Thanks for the great plug-in and the hard work!

Hi! You’re making RAW DNGs with Vuescan or Silverfast?

With V800 RAW DNGs, you shouldn’t need you to run the compatibility utility, but just to check, open up a 48bit RAW DNG made with Vuescan or Silverfast.

What does the profile say? If it already says “Negative Lab…”, and there isn’t a “profile missing warning” you’re all set. If it says "embedded, click the “profile explorer” icon (the 4 square icon)

lr9-check-profiles

Then, look in the list. If “Negative Lab v2.1” is there, you’re all set. You can go ahead and select it.

If that Negative Lab profile isn’t there, you will need to run the updater, as described.

-Nate

1 Like

Hi Nate, gotcha! I’m using Vuescan and it does display. Just wanted to ensure I wasn’t missing something. Thanks again!

Im running 48-bit RAW DNGs from Vuescan scanned on my V850 and still getting ‘profile missing.’ I was hoping this update would take care of that issue. Please advice on troubleshooting.

First, check to see if Lightroom is finding the underlying profile for your model. Click the profile browser icon (four square) to the right of the current profile name, then look and see “Negative Lab vX.X” as an option.

If you don’t see it on the list, you need to make photos from that scanner model compatible. You can do this by selecting the photos and going to “File > Plugin Extras > Update Vuescan/Silverfast DNGs” and following the prompts.

After doing this, it should add Negative Lab profile to list and automatically select it. If it is STILL missing after doing this, make sure you are using a 48bit dng (not 64bit) AND re-check to make sure you have the camera profiles in the proper location. If the camera profiles are not in the right folder, you need to move them to the right folder and restart Lightroom.

If you do see it on the list as being available, first select “embedded” profile and then select latest “Negative Lab” profile. It’s a bug with Lightroom that you have to do this to reset the profile missing error.

I have just upgraded to a new MAC and running Big Sur, how do I get upgrade,? I have my key.