General description of the problem: With a fresh Lightroom catalog and newly imported B&W scans done using my Sony a6700, I’m getting an error writing metadata immediately after opening NLP, which persists after conversion, and which can cause other problems (see below). This happens when one or multiple negative images are selected.
Steps to reproduce:
- Select one or more negatives in Lightroom.
- Hit Ctrl-N to open NLP.
- Before converting or changing anything at all, I immediately get the exclamation mark icon in Lightroom, with a tooltip that says “Error writing metadata”.
- If I cancel out of NLP, without making any changes or converting the images, I can click on the exclamation mark and get this pop-up:
- If I click on “Import Settings from Disk”, the error seems to resolve.
- Instead of cancelling out of NLP, if I go ahead and convert the negative, then the exclamation mark remains after conversion.
- If I click on the exclamation mark, I get the error pop-up again. If I then click on “Import Settings from Disk”, then the converted positive image reverts to a negative image.
- If I then reopen NLP, before changing any settings, the image redisplays as positive.
- Hit “Apply”.
- At this point, one of two things can happen. Either everything seems to return to normal, or the exclamation mark and the metadata writing error will return. (The error seems more likely to return in batch conversions, but I’m not sure about this, maybe more files means higher probability of there being an issue.)
- If the error returns and I try to import the metadata from the disk (from the error popup) or “Read metadata from file” in LR’s menus, sometimes the error will resolve. However, sometimes things will deteriorate. Sometimes, I will sometimes get a different error writing metadata popup, listing failed file writes for various files. In the case of one catalog (470 images), the error caused irrecoverable catalog corruption. I had to start a new catalog and re-add the DNGs.
- If I try to un-convert the images with errors, LR will sometimes get “confused” and display un-converted images as positive images. At this point, I can re-convert and reset the images (using NLP’s reset option), but this will also cause the exclamation mark / “error writing metadata”.
- With multiple images with exclamation marks, I cannot seem to read the metadata from multiple files at once in order to resolve the error. I have to deal with each file individually, which is pretty tedious.
- I installed NLP using the “run the installer from the Applications folder” method (recommended for more recent versions of MacOS).
Things I have tried: restarting LR, restarting the computer, reinstalling NLP, reinstalling LR, manually removing NLP and reinstalling it, starting from a fresh catalog.
Can anyone help with this problem?